As of January 1st, 2024, a major change has taken place for Medi-Cal recipients in California. If you were previously on Emergency Medi-Cal, you’ve officially transitioned to Full-Scope Medi-Cal, meaning you’ll have access to a wider range of healthcare services.
What’s the difference? In the past, Emergency Medi-Cal only covered urgent situations, like ER visits, hospital stays, and life-threatening conditions. While crucial for emergencies, it didn’t cover other important healthcare needs.
Now, with Full-Scope Medi-Cal, you can get the care you need for everyday health issues, completely free. This includes things like:
• Prescription medications: No more worrying about the cost of essential medicines.
• Chronic disease care: Get the treatment you need for conditions like diabetes and heart disease.
• Durable medical equipment: If you need a wheelchair, walker, or other equipment to stay healthy, it’s covered.
• Mental health services: Access therapy, counseling, and other mental health support.
• Dental and vision care: Take care of your smile and eyesight with basic coverage.
• And more! From lab tests to non-emergency transportation, Full-Scope Medi-Cal has you covered.
This is a huge step forward for California, making it the first state to offer comprehensive healthcare to low-income undocumented immigrants. This expansion will not only improve individual health, but also reduce the financial burden on families and healthcare providers.
It’s a true step towards a healthier future for all Californians. Learn more about the Medi-Cal Expansion Program here.
The Balboa United CovER Department provides unbiased screening for the best possible healthcare, based on medication/medical costs, medical needs, medical goals, and network of medical professionals. Learn more by visiting our web page here.